Lovely late Georgian 22 carat gold ring that is hallmarked Birmingham 1833. The ring has a surround of of natural split pearls around a rectangular beautifully enameled border in black that surrounds a plate of crystal which covers the beautiful hair-work within. The shoulders are of a Georgian repousse carved leaf design and appear to be "reaching out" to hold the head of the ring. Pearls were used frequently in mourning jewelry as a representation of tears. A great example of a classic Georgian mourning ring from the early 19th century.